Get A Free, No-Risk Consultation Today
Who is Liable if a Government Vehicle Hits Me?

March 17, 2023

Who is Liable if a Government Vehicle Hits Me?

Motor vehicle accidents are stressful enough when they involve privately owned and operated vehicles. However, getting hit by a government vehicle can be even more overwhelming and leave you wondering whether you can get compensated for your losses at all.

But that does not automatically mean you cannot recoup for injuries and damages resulting from a car accident with a government vehicle. Here are some crucial things to know if you get involved in a crash with a government-owned and operated vehicle.

What You Should Know About The Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act

Certain government workers and entities have what’s called governmental or sovereign immunity. Fortunately, the laws regarding government immunity have been amended over the years to make it possible for injured people to file claims against the government under certain circumstances. This includes cases of car accidents where an at-fault government worker is involved. However, these conditions must apply to the case:

Under the Tennessee Governmental Tort Liability Act, people who have been injured by government workers or entities are given 12 months from the date of the incident to file a claim against the liable party. This 12-month statute of limitations may be extended if a claim involves a minor or legal disability or when the injured plaintiff reasonably failed to notice the full extent of their injuries.

But we strongly recommend you discuss your situation with a Nashville car accident attorney as soon as you can to learn what requirements, laws, and deadlines may apply to your case. As long as the government worker that hit your vehicle was conducting their work duties, you are eligible to file a claim against the government, not the negligent driver.

Under the law, there are specific liability limits you may seek, including:

The next bullet doesn’t belong under GTLA but rather Claims Commission, which occurs when you sue the state. This should be a post but should be a separate post.

Whether your claim is against a negligent state, city, or county government worker, it is always challenging to sue the government. At Raybin & Weissman, our Nashville car accident attorneys have handled these types of claims and know what to do to secure the best possible results for your case.

To learn more about your case and the best legal options available to you, please call our office at 615-256-6666 or send us an online message to set up your free case consultation with our Nashville car accident attorney.