The Role of a Criminal Defense Attorney: Protecting Your Rights in Davidson County
A criminal defense attorney is one of the first people you should call following an arrest in Davidson County, TN. Whether you are facing accusations of a misdemeanor or felony offense, there might be serious penalties if you are convicted. You want someone to protect your rights and ensure you obtain the best possible outcome of your case.
Consult with the criminal defense attorneys at Raybin & Weissman, P.C., today about your situation.
Why Your Choice of an Attorney Matters
When you’re seeking a criminal defense attorney, you need to work with a knowledgeable professional - someone who has the exact experience you need to strategize your defense. While some lawyers focus on smaller crimes like public intoxication or shoplifting, others emphasize more serious offenses, such as drug trafficking and assault.
Ideally, you want to speak to a law firm that has a broad range of expertise in criminal defense cases and has a record of good results. The idea is to find a lawyer who will protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for the charge or charges you face.
Therefore, you need to work with an attorney who is committed to your defense - someone who will not give up on you and who will work tirelessly to ensure that you experience positive results.
For example, suppose that you’re charged with murder, and the evidence against you seems overwhelming. An experienced and committed attorney will fight to get the charges reduced or dropped, even if the process is long and difficult. They’ll ensure justice is served and that, for example, you’re looking at a manslaughter charge versus a second-degree murder charge. If they meet this objective, they can reduce your jail time substantially - as much as 30 or more years in some cases.
Or, maybe, you’ve been wrongly accused of a crime and need to assert your innocence at a criminal jury trial. In this situation, your entire future is on the line.
Regardless of the circumstances, the right attorney will make it possible for you to realize a fairer and more equitable outcome.
The Role of a Criminal Defense Attorney
A criminal defense attorney’s main responsibility is to represent their client during all stages of the legal process. This process includes pre-trial hearings, trial proceedings, plea negotiations, and appeals if required.
Below are some of the key roles they fulfill:
- Evaluator - Evaluating Your Case: As soon as you hire a criminal attorney to represent you, they will begin evaluating all available evidence, including police reports and witness statements. They will also examine the strengths and weaknesses of your case to determine the best course of action to take.
- Protector - Protecting Your Rights: A criminal defense attorney ensures that your constitutional rights are preserved during every stage of the legal process - from arrest to sentencing. They will check to make sure that law enforcement officers followed proper procedures during your arrest and interrogation.
- Strategist - Developing a Defense Strategy: Based on their evaluation of your case, a criminal defense attorney will formulate a strong defense strategy tailored to your specific situation. This may involve challenging the prosecution’s evidence or presenting alternative theories to establish doubt regarding your guilt.
- Negotiator - Negotiating with Prosecutors: In some cases, your attorney may negotiate with the prosecution to reach a plea agreement, resulting in reduced charges or lighter sentencing. This is particularly useful when the case against you is strong and is also stressful and emotional for all the parties involved.
- Litigator - Presenting Your Case at Trial: Should your case go to trial, your criminal defense attorney will present your defense to the judge and jury, cross-examine witnesses, and refute some of the evidence that the prosecution may present.
Contact a Local Criminal Defense Attorney in Davidson County Now
When facing criminal charges in Davidson County, it’s essential to hire a local criminal defense attorney with the experience your case demands.
Don’t take chances with your future. Contact Raybin & Weissman, P.C. today.