Festival Safety: How to Stay Safe During CMA Fest & Bonnaroo
June is an exciting time in Nashville and Middle Tennessee. As the weather heats up, so does the concert and festival lineup – most notably with CMA Fest and Bonnaroo. The population of Tennessee increases significantly in those two weeks as fans come in from all over the world to experience the musical entertainment that is offered in both Nashville and Manchester.
However, with all the fun, activities, and entertainment, also comes some very real danger to your health and safety. Not to mention, you could face legal troubles if you are not careful.
The reality is there are two central themes to CMA Fest and Bonnaroo. The first is music. The second is partying and alcohol consumption. Even if you don’t partake in the party scene, it’s important to be aware of what’s going on around you so you can stay safe.
Safety Tips for CMA Fest & Bonnaroo
In order to have an enjoyable, safe time at the upcoming festivals – such as CMA Fest in Nashville or Bonnaroo in Manchester – here are a few safety tips to follow. Following these tips will help you make the most of your experience and keep you far from legal trouble.
- Drink Responsibly. It’s easy to get carried away in terms of drinking when you’re at a concert with all your friends. Know your limits. Everyone is different and it’s okay if you can’t drink as much as the next person. Know when to stop.
- Don’t drink and drive. No matter what the case may be, never get behind the wheel after you’ve been drinking and never be a passenger in a car with a drive who has been drinking. Phone a friend or a taxi_._ Or, if you’re heading to Bonnaroo, stay put. That’s why camping is so prevalent at that festival.
- Remember to hydrate. During the heat of the summer, we tend to forget that our bodies need more water than normal. This is especially true when we are outside sweating and consuming alcohol. I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep yourself hydrated and to keep water with you at all times.
- Practice the buddy system. At these large venues, it can be easy to get confused or lost if you aren’t familiar with the layout. Being in an unfamiliar setting can sometimes be problematic if you become tiresome and worn down after a long day of concerts. Make sure to stay with a friend or group of friends when you attend the festivities. Also, be sure to keep your cell phone with you at all times where it is easily accessible.
- Avoid controversy. It is no surprise that at gatherings with massive amounts of people, such as CMA Fest and Bonnaroo, there will be few individuals that drink too much and tend to stir up trouble. First, do not be that person. Second, avoid those individuals at all costs. If you do not, then the end result will just be bad for both parties.
- Do not question a police officer. Should a police officer approach you, it’s important to be polite and respectful no matter what the situation may be. Don’t get into an argument with a cop. Doing so will only make the situation worse for yourself or those with you.
- Follow the rules. Oftentimes, festivals have rules and regulations in place to protect the musicians and keep everyone safe. Rules are there for a reason. Follow them. Pay attention to signs. Listen to instructions from police officers and concert officials. Ignoring the rules could just get you in trouble or even get you hurt.
For additional tips and information, check out Bonnaroo’s Safety Tips.
It is exciting to see so many people travel to Nashville and Middle Tennessee to enjoy the great music and festivals we have to offer. We hope that by keeping these festival safety tips in mind, will have a more enjoyable experience. Have a great time, but be sure to put your safety first!