Raybin & Weissman

Truck Splits Car in Two in Hit-and-Run Accident on I-440

Rear-End Accident on I-440 in Nashville

“From what I’m told, I literally flew across the interstate. My car was split in two and I hit two different cars on I-440 East, so I flew into oncoming traffic,” says a Nashville woman whose car was rear-ended by what she believes was a truck.

“I just saw lights come out of nowhere,” recalled the woman in an interview with WKRN. “I looked up and there was just this truck [that] came out of nowhere and just slammed into the back of me and that is the last thing I remember.”

The victim is lucky to be alive after her Honda was obliterated on a recent Sunday evening while she was driving on I-440 W near the I-65 split. However, her reported injuries are significant and will require a long recovery period. She told News 2 that she suffered these injuries:

As one might expect, broken bones and other serious injuries are common in rear-end collisions. Worse yet, the injuries sustained in a rear-end accident sometimes develop over time and become chronic.

What Should You Do if You Are the Victim of a Rear-End Accident?

If your car has been rear-ended, it is imperative that you collect as much evidence as possible at the scene of the accident.

  1. Use your Smartphone to take photographs of the damage.
  2. Use your phone to capture video of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
  3. Gather the contact information of witnesses.
  4. Then see a doctor and undergo a physical examination, even if you don’t experience pain at the scene. As noted above, some injuries aren’t immediately apparent, and some only become evident over time.
  5. Finally, call an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss the circumstances surrounding your accident. Injuries from a rear-end collision can result in lifelong pain, and getting the right legal help soon after your accident can help ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries.

What Should You Do if You Are the Victim of a Hit-and-Run Accident?

Hit-and-run accidents aren’t uncommon in Nashville, and pedestrians are often the victims.

In the past year alone I’ve written about a spate of pedestrian hit-and-run accidents, including a man who was killed while walking along Elm Hill Pike in Donelson, a 44-year-old woman who suffered life threatening injuries after she was struck on I-440 near the Richardson Avenue overpass, and a victim who was left for dead near Centennial Park after being T-boned while riding her bicycle.

Yet most hit-and-run accidents are vehicle vs. vehicle. The following post, titled Understanding Tennessee Hit and Run laws, outlines the legal responsibilities of anyone involved in a car accident.

As noted in the article, failure to abide by the law can lead to criminal charges. Moreover, if a driver leaves the scene of an accident and was intoxicated while driving—or if someone was seriously injured or killed in the accident—that driver may face additional criminal liability. In those instances, it’s advisable for the accused to contact a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to discuss rights and obligations.

If you have the misfortune of being the victim of a hit-and-run accident, know that you are entitled to legal compensation.

As with any accident, you should begin by filing a police report, providing all the information you have about the time, date, and location of the incident, as well as a description of the vehicle that hit you. Also, collect information from witnesses, if you’re able to do so. With any luck, the authorities will be able to identify the perpetrator, or perhaps the perpetrator will turn themselves in to police after-the-fact.

Finally, make sure you receive a medical exam. Then consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area, preferably one with a criminal law background.

The compassionate attorneys at Raybin & Weissman have decades of experience in both criminal law and personal injury law, and we offer a free, no obligation consultation to victims of rear-end and hit-and-run accidents. Contact us online or give us a call at (615) 256-6666. We will fight to get you justice!