I Am from Tennessee but I got a DUI while visiting another State, How Do I Get a Restricted License?

This question arises quite frequently as college students that are from Tennessee will get convicted of DUI while they are away at college. It also happens to Tennessee business travelers who encounter drinking and driving charges in other jurisdictions.

Tennessee law answers this question in Tenn Code Annotated 55-0-403(d)(1) and says that if it is such person’s first DUI charge that they may apply for a restricted license to a judge of any court of the county of the person’s residence having jurisdiction to try charges for driving under the influence of an intoxicant. This means you need to go to the Circuit or Criminal Court where you live and apply for a restricted license.

The judge can allow you to allow you to drive to and from: regular place of employment;
court-ordered alcohol safety program; a college or university in the case of a student enrolled full time in such college or university; scheduled interlock monitoring appointment; and a court-ordered outpatient alcohol or drug treatment program.

ABOUT David Raybin
David Raybin

David Raybin is a partner at Raybin & Weissman and he heads up the criminal defense section of the firm. With more than 35 years of experience, David has been named the Best Criminal Lawyer in Nashville by Best Lawyers in America, and listed among the Best Criminal Lawyers in the state by Tennessee Business magazine.

View Profile >
The Best Lawyers in America
Raybin & Weissman, PC Rated by Super Lawyers
Attorney of the month
U.S. News 2017 Best Law Firms